Top Phoenix SEO Experts
Hreflang tags are an important aspect of technical SEO that can have a significant impact on a website’s visibility in international search results. In this article, we will explore what hreflang tags are, how they work, and how they can affect technical SEO.
(Looking for Phoenix SEO expert? Contact us today!)
What are Hreflang Tags?
Hreflang tags are HTML attributes that tell search engines the language and geographic targeting of a webpage. When a website has multiple versions of a webpage in different languages, hreflang tags help search engines identify the appropriate version of the webpage to display in search results.
How Hreflang Tags Work?
Hreflang tags are typically included in the HTML code of a webpage in the header section. The tags contain a language and country code that tells search engines the intended audience for the webpage. For example, the hreflang tag for a webpage targeting users in the United States who speak Spanish would look like this:
<link rel=”alternate” hreflang=”es-US” href=”http://www.example.com/es/” />
This tag tells search engines that the webpage is the Spanish version of the content and is intended for users in the United States.
Impact on Technical SEO.
Hreflang tags can have a significant impact on technical SEO. Here are some ways in which they can affect a website’s search engine visibility:
- Improve International Search Visibility: Hreflang tags help search engines identify the appropriate version of a webpage to display in international search results. This can improve a website’s visibility in non-English speaking countries and increase its overall reach.
- Prevent Duplicate Content Issues: Websites that have multiple versions of the same content in different languages can suffer from duplicate content issues. Hreflang tags help prevent these issues by telling search engines which version of the content is intended for which audience.
- Consolidate Link Equity: When a webpage has multiple versions in different languages, the link equity may be split between those versions, reducing the value of each version. Hreflang tags can help consolidate the link equity of all versions of the webpage, increasing its value.
Best Practices for Using Hreflang Tags.
To ensure that hreflang tags are used effectively in technical SEO, website owners should follow these best practices:
- Use Hreflang Tags for Multilingual Websites: Hreflang tags should be used for websites that have multiple versions of the same content in different languages.
- Use Self-Referencing Hreflang Tags: When a webpage has a hreflang tag, that tag should reference the URL of the webpage itself. This ensures that search engines understand the intended audience for the webpage.
- Use Absolute URLs: Hreflang tags should use absolute URLs to ensure that search engines understand the language and country targeting of a webpage, regardless of the web page’s location.
- Monitor Hreflang Tags: Website owners should monitor their hreflang tags to ensure that they are working correctly and that there are no issues with duplicate content.
In conclusion, hreflang tags are an essential aspect of technical SEO for websites that have multiple versions of the same content in different languages. They can improve international search visibility, prevent duplicate content issues, and consolidate link equity. Website owners should follow best practices when using hreflang tags to ensure that they are effective in improving their website’s search engine visibility.